Your couples session is just around the corner, whether it’s engagement, anniversary or photos just for fun…there are a few things I’d like you to know before you get in front of the camera!
1) It’s normal to be nervous. I would say the majority of us don’t spend a great deal of time in front of a professional camera so this is going to be a new experience and something you may not be 100% comfortable with (at first). That’s TOTALLY NORMAL. It’s my job to make you feel comfortable and I promise you after 10 minutes all those feelings will be gone and you’ll be having fun! It’s actually amazing to me how accurate this is every. single. time. A lot of my clients tell me they “aren’t photogenic.” To that I say, “nonsense!”
2) Be prepared to do some walking, trudging, hiking and wandering. I always recommend bringing an extra pair of shoes or boots along that you can do your walking in. The best locations usually require a bit of work to get to so be prepared! If they were right off a sidewalk then everyone would do it and that’s boring. We want to find somewhere special and extra awesome!
3) Vulnerability is key. I want to photograph the real and raw you. I want you to look at these photos afterward and I want you to feel something. That’s when I’ve done my job. In order for me to capture that, I encourage you to be open and show me your affectionate, goofy, romantic or passionate side. In other words, show me what makes the two of you, you. Most of the session I actually want you to ignore me and focus on your partner. Focus on the reasons you want to marry this person, the reasons you love them and those feelings will translate in the photos.
4) HAVE FUN! This is a relaxed environment for you to enjoy each other and celebrate your relationship! There is no pressure here guys. I have had so many couples tell me after their session, “Wow, that was actually so fun.” It’s a couple hours hanging out with the love of your life in a beautiful location, what’s NOT to love?
5) Have an open mind. I may ask you to do something that you think is a little crazy or I may pick a location that maybe you wouldn’t have picked, but I ask that you trust me! Photographers see differently; we see texture, mood and lighting and I promise you’ll love the end result!
6) It’s not unusual for me to ask you to run, jump, skip, cuddle, twirl and dance. Just thought you should know 😊
7) Don’t overthink your outfits. Whatever you do, dress like yourselves, whatever that looks like! This isn’t the time to try something you aren’t comfortable in! If you’re feeling self conscious about your outfit you’ll have a harder time relaxing. While I encourage you to maybe wear one dressier outfit and one casual outfit, you can interpret that in a way that suits your personality. If a casual outfit means ripped jeans and a t-shirt to you, then do it!
8) Everyone is photogenic. I’m about to deliver a pretty cheesy line but it’s the truth…love looks good on everyone. You don’t have to look a certain way, have impeccable style or be a model to be photogenic. You just need to be fearlessly in love because that kind of love ALWAYS translates to the best damn photos.
9) Make a day of it. Don’t schedule your session 1 hour after you get off work so you’re scrambling and show up stressed out. Leave some cushion time to maybe get a drink together before hand (helps you loosen up!) so you can arrive to your photo session totally relaxed and in love! Think of your photo session as a date and make it a special day!